The Best Baby Toothbrush 2017-5 Reviews and Ultimate Guide
Everything on a baby from their skin, tummies and gums is always delicate and sensitive and should always be handled with care. We should start practising oral hygiene on our babies even before their first teeth arrive. We can do this by cleaning their gums and tongues every day after feeding them.
However, when your baby’s first teeth arrive, you will need to buy a baby toothbrush for her so that you can keep her teeth clean. You will also need to learn how to brush her little teeth without hurting her gums. Only the best baby toothbrush will help you to do that. I have compiled for you a list of the 5 best baby toothbrushes so that you won’t have to look further. So, read on.
Last update on 2017-08-17 at 22:28 PST - Details
Why You Need To Buy A Toothbrush For Your Baby
At first, before your baby starts to teeth, cleaning her mouth will be very easier since you will just need a piece of clean cloth that you will wrap around your finger to clean her gums. However, when she starts teething, only a toothbrush would do since you will need something that can reach all parts of your baby’s mouth easily so that you get to clean all her teeth plus the emerging ones.
You will, therefore, need a baby toothbrush with a small head and soft bristles so that the brushing process is as comfortable as possible. This will make your baby to always look forward to her teeth being brushed.
When To Start Brushing Your Baby’s Teeth
It is recommended that you should start brushing your baby’s teeth as soon as you see her first little tooth bud emerge. This will make her get used to having her teeth cleaned. The brushing should be twice a day.
The time babies’ teeth emerge may vary widely as some babies are born already with a tooth while others celebrate their first birthdays with no teeth. The average time most baby teeth emerge is when they are six months old.
However, by the time most babies are two and a half years old, they would have already grown all their set of milk teeth, which are usually 20 in number. You can continue brushing your child’s teeth until she attains that age when she will be able to do it on her own, which is usually by the age of seven.
What Kind Of Toothpaste Should You Use And In What Quantity?
Paediatricians recommend that you use toothpaste that is made for babies. The toothpaste should contain fluoride to prevent tooth decay. However, the fluoride levels in the toothpaste should be at the right level for babies. You can always check the packaging of the toothpaste to ensure that it does not contain more than 1000ppm (parts per million) of fluoride if your baby is below three years old. If your child is three or older, the fluoride levels should be between 1350 to 1500ppm of fluoride.
In terms of quantity, your baby just needs a smear of toothpaste that covers less than three-quarters of the toothbrush. You should encourage her to spit after a tooth clean. However, if it takes her a while to learn how to spit it out, don’t get discouraged since the idea is to teach her good oral hygiene that will last a lifetime. You should also be careful with your baby not to let her eat toothpaste from the tube.
How To Brush Your Baby’s Teeth
You should get yourself into the habit of brushing your baby’s teeth twice a day, once in the morning and just before bed. When you want to brush her teeth, ensure that you sit her on your lap while she is facing away from you so that you can reach her teeth more easily.
Make small, gentle and circular movements with the brush as you concentrate on the area where her teeth and gum meet. You should be careful not to hurt her gums since they are usually soft when a baby is teething.
When you are done, you can encourage her to spit out the toothpaste. You don’t have to rinse her mouth with water since it will be good if there is some toothpaste residues left in her teeth.
If your baby doesn’t like it when you are brushing her teeth, don’t give up. You can try a different approach by giving her the toothbrush so that she can hold it on her own.
How Else Can You Protect Your Baby’s Teeth?
Sugar is the main reason why teeth do decay. Therefore, every time your baby will eat something sugary, the sugar may start breaking down the mineral surface of her teeth. If she takes sugary foods more frequently, then her teeth may start to decay fast.
Although it is very hard to control a number of sugary foods that you will give your baby since babies love sugary things, you can protect her teeth by only giving her sugary foods and drinks during meal times.
If your baby is hungry and you would like to give her some snacks between meal times, you can offer her tooth-friendly snacks such as cheese and vegetables.
Here are the top 5 best baby toothbrush 2017
Last update on 2017-08-17 at 22:28 PST - Details
1. Mom Miya Baby Toothbrush with Case Set
This baby toothbrush is designed as a clear finger toothbrush. It is adorned on the opposite side of the toothbrush surface with small nobs that help in soothing your baby’s painful gums when she is teething. This makes this toothbrush perfect for babies who are starting to teeth since you can use it to gently massage the baby’s gums against the knobby points to relieve the pain that results from the teeth exerting pressure on the gums as they try to emerge.
- BPA free brush.
- Package contains 3 pieces.
- Finger toothbrush.
- Made of silicon.
- The brushes are made of soft latex to conform to your finger for a comfortable and secure fit.
- The soft bristles will be gentle to your baby’s gums.
- Slides easily into your finger.
- Gently removes milk residues that may get stuck between your baby’s teeth. These prevent the formation of cavities.
- Your baby will enjoy getting her gums massaged.
- Good for a biting baby is it does not get ruined when a baby bites it.
- The toothbrush is easy to clean.
- Your fingers won’t hurt when your baby bites down.
- It doesn’t fit in a man’s fingers. This makes brushing baby’s teeth a woman’s task only.
2. Jordan Step1 Baby Toothbrush
The design of this baby toothbrush is truly original, and this makes it stand out from the rest. Its handle also doubles as a teething ring. It also has bright colours that will stimulate your baby and make her want to carry her toothbrush around with her.
- Short neck and a unique teeth ring.
- Ergonomic shape for a good grip.
- Super soft bristles.
- Small head.
- The super soft bristles will be gentle to your baby’s gums.
- It is budget friendly since one package contains 4 toothbrushes.
- It is non-toxic hence safe for a baby’s gums.
- It has a chewing grip that helps to stimulate the baby’s gums.
- The handle is perfectly made for tiny hands to hold.
- The large handle prevents your baby from accidentally choking on the toothbrush.
- The bright colours make it look so cute.
- The bristles may sometimes be weak and may sometimes come out when the baby bites them.
3. RADIUS Totz Toothbrush for 18 Months
This toothbrush is designed for babies who are 18 months and older. Its bristles are super soft and are made from a vegetable-based material. This makes it easier and safer for a toddler to brush her own teeth with your supervision.
- 100% BPA free.
- Smooth oval head.
- Each pack has 3 Radius tots brushes.
- 4500 super soft vegetable-based bristles.
- Several colour choices.
- The smooth oval head eliminates the dangers of sharp corners that might hurt the soft and delicate gums whether your toddler brushes on her own or when you do it for her.
- The colours are FDA approved.
- The material used to make it is free from latex, lead and phthalate.
- The soft bristles are comfortable for tiny mouths.
- The handles are ergonomically tapered to ensure that both you and the baby have a comfortable grip so that you can brush safely and accurately.
- The bright colours make it look attractive to a baby.
- It is made in the USA.
- For a baby that likes brushing and chewing the brush all day, the bristles may fray quickly.
4. Baby Banana Infant Training Toothbrush and Teether
This is surely the most effective baby toothbrush, and your baby will surely love using it to brush her pearly white. It will also be a great toy to play with. It is designed to be used by newborns up to babies who are 12 months old. Older babies may still use it too.
- The playful design of the baby banana.
- Dishwasher and freezer friendly.
- Thick and soft bristles.
- Flexible banana shape.
- BPA and phthalate free.
- It is good for teething babies since the thick and soft bristles help to massage sore teething gums.
- Teaches the baby to develop good oral hygiene early hence preventing cavities that may develop later.
- The peeling handles are easy for the baby’s little hands to hold.
- It is safer than hard plastic toothbrushes.
- The flexible banana shape decreases the risks of mouth injury in case the toddler falls.
- The playful design of the peels akimbo handles will get your baby excited about brushing.
- It is available in a variety of colours that will suit your baby’s style.
- It comes as a single pack.
5. Baby Buddy Baby’s 1st Toothbrush Teether
With this baby toothbrush, you will be able to nurture a lifetime of good oral habits. This product has a unique design that makes it easy for the baby to hold and control and will grow with your child from birth until he or she is a year old. It is designed for tender gums and is perfect for cleaning teeth to clear any breast milk residues that may lead to building up of bacteria in the baby’s oral cavity.
- Innovative H design.
- 6 sided brush.
- 100% BPA free.
- Made of FDA approved food grade silicone.
- Can be easily cleaned in a steriliser or a dishwasher.
- The 6 sided brushes clean the upper and lower teeth gently and simultaneously.
- Easy for use at home and on-the-go.
- It is child controlled hence perfect for teething babies.
- The flexible silicon material used to make it decreases the risks of mouth injury in case the baby falls with the toothbrush inside her mouth.
- The little nubs may fall off if the baby chews on them continuously.
General tips for choosing the best toothbrush for your baby
When shopping for a toothbrush for your little one, there are certain characteristics that you should look for in whatever toothbrush you choose to buy. They include:
- Size: The best toothbrush head should be small enough to fit inside your baby’s mouth so that the toothbrush can have easy access to all the surfaces of your baby’s teeth. If the head is large, it may be difficult to manoeuvre the toothbrush to reach some areas in your baby’s mouth in case she has finished teething. A large head may also hurt your baby’s mouth.
- The texture of the bristles: Because your baby’s gums are soft and delicate, a good toothbrush for her should have soft bristles. This will ensure that the brushing process is comfortable for your baby so that she will always look forward to brushing her teeth or having her teeth brushed.
- Expert recommendation: A good baby toothbrush should have a lot of expert recommendations to assure mothers that it is safe for babies.
- Likeability: Going for a baby toothbrush that you know your baby is going to like will save you from fighting with your little one when you want to brush her little teeth. When it comes to likeability, baby banana infant training toothbrush and teether wins it.
You should never underestimate the importance of practising good oral hygiene with your baby. It will not only ensure that her oral health is good but will also help to instill a sense of responsibility and hygiene on your baby that will be part of him or her for the rest of his or her life.
I would, therefore, recommend Baby Banana Infant Training Toothbrush and Teether for your baby because it is playfully designed to appeal to your baby and to make it better; it was designed by a woman who was a mother!