The Best Portable High Chairs For Your Baby In 2017
Think of yourself going for a holiday or just for a day trip with your baby; you would want to have the best time out. You don’t want to be struggling to feed your wiggly baby or your active toddler. You want the easiest eating experience with your baby even if you are indoors with the family.
The right portable high chair can make meals time with the family together with your baby very enjoyable. Choosing the best portable high chair from the many brands available can be very overwhelming, but if you know what you are looking for in a high chair, then it will be easy.
Last update on 2017-06-23 at 07:40 PST - Details
Types Of Portable High Chairs
The benefits of using high chairs will depend on the type of high chair that you will go for. The different types of portable high chairs include:
Just like their name, they are chairs that can be clipped to the table through their arms. Due to the design of the chairs, the baby is usually half-way under the table making it perfect for use in restaurants, or family events.
Fabric high chairs
These high chairs can be used on empty adult chairs by snapping them on the chairs to snuggle up to your baby. It works in a similar way to a seat belt. They are very reliable since they help to keep the baby firm on a chair and in place. These types of high chairs are also called wraps.
They are designed for travel, kind of in the name. They are very small and can be compacted into small places hence very easy to carry around.
These high chairs will allow your little one also to join the family on the table during dinner time. They usually have straps to secure the baby. However, carrying them around is never an easy task since they are bulky.
Features To Look For In A Portable High Chair
- Crotch post : A good high chair should have a crotch post that prevents the baby from slipping under the tray and falling. Most models always have the crotch post attached to the seat bottom while some have it attached to the tray.
- Safety harness: The ASTM safety standards recommend that high chairs should have at least three-point safety harness. The harness adjustments should be adjustable enough to accommodate all baby sizes and should also be easy to use. The buckle of the restraint system should be able to withstand a wriggling baby while at the same time it should be easily operated by an adult.
- Tray: The tray should have position adjustments so that they can be moved closer to the child or farther away to make eating more comfortable. The tray should also be easy to remove or attach to the high chair. Some high chairs have trays that can be snapped on and off for easy cleanup.
- Seat adjustments: You should look for a seat that can be moved up and down to adjust their heights. Most high chairs are equipped with pneumatic poles that make it easy to adjust their heights to several positions. Adjustable chairs can make feeding very easy since you just adjust the height of your baby to be on the same level that your chair is in. Some chairs can also be reclined and are perfect for babies who like to fall asleep after feeding.
- Foldability: A portable high chair should be able to fold so that it is easy to move around with them and to store them. However, a high folding chair should have a latching system that is secure so that the high chair does not fold accidentally while your baby is sitting on it.
- Seat covers: Most high chair models have seat covers that can be removed when you want to clean the chair.
Safety Measures To Take When Using High Chairs
1. Open and close the safety harness fastener
Ensure that the harness fastener is easy to be operated by an adult but difficult for your child. Although ASTM recommends that a harness fastener should be a 3-point harness fastener, it is advisable that you go for a high chair with a five-point harness fastener since they are much safer as they will prevent your baby from standing or leaning over that may lead to falls.
2. Test the tray
The tray should be easy to engage, adjust and disengage. However, your baby should not be able to disengage the tray. You should ensure that the tray latches are not accessible to your baby.
Ensure that the high chair is very stable so that it cannot be tipped over easily when your baby wiggles on it.
4. Use the high chair on a level surface
The high chair should be placed on a level surface to eliminate the possibility of accidents such as falls. When placed on unleveled surfaces, your baby can easily knock over the chairs while they are sitting in them.
5. Always keep an eye on your child while he or she is in a high chair
Your child should always have someone supervising them whenever they are in a high chair. This is because accidents may happen even if they are restrained.
Other Safety Measures To Remember Include:
- Do not place the high chair with your baby on it on the table or on a counter top. Your baby can easily tip and fall.
- When using a portable high chair that hooks on a table, make sure that the table is heavy enough to be able to support your baby’s weight without tipping.
- Don’t allow your child to stand or climb on the high chair.
- The high chair should not be placed near counters or tables to prevent your child from using his or her legs to push the chair over.
- Ensure that the crotch straps are well secured to enable your child to sit up snuggly without wriggling.
The 5 Best Baby Portable Chair
Below are the portable high chairs that made it to our list of the top 5 best high chairs to buy for your baby in 2017.
Last update on 2017-06-23 at 07:40 PST - Details
1. Ciao! Baby Portable Travel Highchair
Basically, a mix between tailgate chairs and high chairs, these portable high chairs for babies are very amazing. They are designed in such a way that storing them, using them and travelling with them is very easy. This makes it the best practical solution for families on the go with small children.
- One piece design that requires no assembly.
- Lightweight and flexible design.
- Built-in cup holder.
- Comfortable lap belt.
- It only weighs 8 lbs easy to move around with.
- Unfolds and folds up easily.
- They meet ASTM high chair standards since they have a comfortable lap belt that ensures that your baby is securely held in the chair.
- The clear vinyl tray cover makes it easy to clean the chair whenever your baby messes it while eating.
- They come with a handy travel case that you can carry them in.
- The lap belt is adjustable.
- The mesh drink pocket cannot hold cups with handles.
- The tray attached to the chair can sometimes sag a bit.
- It can only be spot washed.
2. Fisher Price Healthy Deluxe Booster Seat
With this deluxe booster seat, there is no reason why your baby cannot join the big kid table. Taking a seat at the table is an important milestone in your baby’s transition to becoming a toddler. It will help them develop as they will have the chance to observe as the whole family is dining hence enabling them to build on their social skills, their manners and their communication skills as they will have the opportunity to join in the action.
- Built-in Sippy cup holder.
- Dishwasher safe feeding tray.
- Snap on the lid that keeps the feeding tray clean.
- 4-point shoulder harness.
- Is very durable since it is made of very sturdy plastic.
- The 4-point shoulder harness ensures that your baby is firmly secured on the seat.
- It has shoulder straps that make it convenient to carry around.
- Adjustable options allow your child to grow with the chair.
- Its front and rear straps can fit easily with most restaurant chairs, dining chairs and kitchen chairs.
- Cleaning it up is very easy.
- It can be folded and assembled easily making it very convenient for outdoor use.
- It can be a little heavy if you want to take it out all day.
- The tray may fall out when you are carrying the seat.
3. Graco Simple Switch Portable High Chair and Booster
This convenient baby high chair is convenient for busy families since it doubles up as both a full-featured high chair and a portable booster. It also comes packed with all the features that you will love when considering portable high chairs for your baby. It will be a big boost to your little one since it will give him or her the opportunity to join the family table.
- Convertible 3 and 5-point harness.
- 1-hand removable tray.
- A removable seat pad that is machine-washable.
- Built-in leg storage.
- 3 recline positions.
- The seat features 3 recline positions that will allow you to find the right feeding position for your baby.
- Thanks to the machine-washable seat pads, cleaning the seat is very easy since you just toss it in the machine and within minutes your baby will have a pristine place to enjoy her meals.
- The one hand tray removal feature makes it simple to put your baby in or out of the high chair.
- It is a 2 in 1 high chair as it can be converted into a booster.
- The built-in leg storage feature keeps the parts together whenever the high chair is converted into a booster seat.
- The 3- and 5- point harness will give you a peace of mind since you will be assured that your baby is securely and firmly held in the seat without any chance of falling.
- The chair is extremely simple to put together and does not require any tools to assemble.
- It’s a little difficult to remove the lower part of the removable cover because the elastic loops that hold it have to be stretched because they are too small.
4. Summer Infant Deluxe Comfort Folding Booster Seat
It is a nice built booster seat that has a great compact folding design for portable design. It has convenient and desirable features that you and your baby will love. It will be a comfortable solution to feeding your baby both at home and while you are on the move.
- Height adjustment.
- 2 in 1 feeding seat.
- Dishwasher safe tray.
- Ultra-compact fold design.
- The seat has a 2 level height adjustment that will allow the chair to grow with your baby.
- The 2-in 1 feeding seat transforms into a toddler booster to give your baby the opportunity to join the family at the table.
- It is very portable and easy to store due to the ultra-compact folding design.
- The cover of the seat is machine-washable making cleaning a very simple process.
- When collapsed, the tray doesn’t attach to the rest, so you have 2 separate pieces to take with you.
5. Graco Blossom 4 in 1 Convertible High Chair Seating System, Sapphire
This is by far the best portable high chair that you should buy for your baby. It is truly the transformer of the high chair family. Its design makes it the best candidate in the baby portable high chair industry since among other things; it is designed to grow with your baby throughout her childhood.
- Has two seats, a toddler booster seat and a youth high chair.
- Six height positions and 3 recline levels.
- One hand removable tray.
- Removable seat back inserts.
- Infant head and body support.
- Front wheels and locking rear casters.
- The infant head and body support make it suitable for use even by tiny babies.
- Moving the high chair around your home will be easy because it has the front wheels and locking rear casters.
- It has a machine-washable seat pad that makes cleaning super easy.
- It is designed to grow with your child from infant to toddler.
- The six height positions and the 3 recline levels makes it a convenient high chair for your baby as you will be able to adjust it to a position that is right for your baby.
- Its innovative design allows you to sit two children at the same time.
- It’s more expensive than all the other portable high chairs, but it’s worth every dollar.
The Bottom Line
Portable high chairs are convenient baby gears for all types of families, whether you are a busy parent and would like to travel with your baby or you are a stay at home mum who just wants her baby to be able to sit on the dining table.
I would recommend that you choose Ciao! Baby Portable Travel Highchair since it is the best baby portable high chair that you and your baby is going to love.