Walgreens Ear Thermometer Instructions: What You Need to Know
Are you looking for Walgreens ear thermometer instructions? Knowing how to take an ear temperature is a vital skill to learn. You can use it especially if a loved one is sick and has a fever, a higher than normal body temperature, because it can be a sign of an infection or an illness.
What’s an ear temperature?
Also called the tympanic membrane temperature, it’s a temperature measure of the inside of your ear particularly the tympanic membrane.
Taking an ear temperature is quick and easy and takes only a few seconds to complete. For this reason, it’s one of the best methods to check children’s temperature, too.
Just like using a basal thermometer when taking the body’s lowest resting temperature typically in the morning, you also need to use a specific thermometer to take the ear temperature. [You may also want to check basal thermometer review to know more about it.
The ear thermometer, which is a handheld device with a window, is typically used in measuring the ear temperature. You can buy it in medical supply stores, drug stores or medical supply stores.
Walgreens ear thermometer instructions: How to use an ear thermometer
Remember, there are many kinds of ear thermometers to find on the market. Not all of them may have the same instructions. In the following are the general use instructions for common ear thermometers.
- 1Get the device out of its storage holder.
- 2Over the tip of the thermometer, put a new throwaway cover.
- 3Hold the person’s head especially if a child’s to prevent it from moving.
- 4Pull the ear up and back. If you’re getting a child’s temperature, you must pull his ear straight back.
- 5Into the ear opening, place the covered tip. Avoid using force or pushing hard, as it may be dangerous. Make sure that the tip of the device isn’t touching the eardrum.
- 6Press the thermometer’s button to turn it on. Hold this button until you hear a beeping sound. You can also follow the specific instructions to find on the manual.
- 7Once you heard the beep, you can remove the device from the person’s ear opening.
- 8On the device’s window, check and read the temperature on the display window.
- 9If you’re a caregiver, you may have to keep this temperature record. Write it down along with the time and the results you have obtained.
- 10Take away and remove the throwaway cover, and then put the thermometer back into its holder.
When not to use an ear thermometer
While ear thermometers are accurate and easy to use, they may not give you correct readings or a low reading if the person has earwax.
For this reason, you may need to remove some of it before taking an ear temperature.
You shouldn’t also use it if there is ear infection or sore ear or if the person has had an ear surgery.
There you have what to know about Walgreens ear thermometer instructions on how to use this device to take the ear temperature. Finally, know when to consult a doctor especially with temperatures at least 38.9 °C accompanied with symptoms like discomfort and irritability, to name some.